It has been forever since I've shared a book recommendation, but I've been reading a ton lately and have some really good ones.
"Her Mother's Hope" and "Her Daughter's Dream" by Francine Rivers
These two books follow the women of a family from the beginning of WWI through present day. "Her Mother's Hope" begins with the story of Marta as she leaves her difficult childhood behind in Switzerland. She travels and learns from many skilled cooks and housekeepers as she pursues her dream to run her own hotel. She meets a man, marries, and halfway through the book the story is told from her daughter Hildemara's point of view.
In "Her Daughter's Dream," Hildemara has had a daughter, Caroline. The first half of the book is told through Caroline's eyes, as she struggles with her relationship with her mother. She has a daughter, May Flower Dawn, and the second half of the book is told through Dawn's eyes.
Common themes in these books are misunderstandings between mothers and daughters and sacrificial love. They are based on the real life saga of the author's family. I was so moved when I read them; it made me want to express how much the women in my family mean to me. It made me wish my grandma was still here. And more than anything, I appreciated the blessed childhood I had.
"Left To Tell" by Imaculee Ilibagiza
This is a true story of one woman who survived the horrifying slaughter of almost one million people in Rwanda. As a Tutsi, she was hunted by the Hutus and hid in a tiny bathroom with 7 other women for 91 days. Almost her entire family was killed. But in spite of the horror and hate, she grew closer to God and forgave her family's killers.
This book was so eye-opening to me. I was fourteen when this happened, and I really had no idea what was going on. I'm so grateful for our freedom and safety in this country but wish I had known; had been able to do something. This is another book that is very inspiring!
2 comments:
My mom just received the first Francine Rivers book as a Christmas gift. I'm excited to borrow it! She's my favorite religious author. Atonement Child and Redeeming Love are fabulous!
i'm rating your reviews:
two thumbs up, four times!!! i'm so excited to get these and start reading them. they all sound amazing...
thanks kimberly.
Post a Comment