Monday, February 28, 2011

Book Recommendations!

I have been reading a couple of great books lately; here they are in no particular order . . .

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp

The main difference between this book and many other parenting books I have read is that this one really focuses on your child's heart, rather than the outward behaviour. The author maintains that it is imperative that you look past the symptoms to the cause. A verse quoted in the book comes from Luke 6:45, "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

This is my second time through this book and I enjoy that it doesn't just tell you what the problem is, but gives practical examples and steps to correct it.

The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois

A trip by hot-air balloon is the beginning of a giant adventure for Professor William Waterman Sherman. Along the way he meets some delightful characters on the island of Krakatoa and finds himself a part of their magical world.

We probably wouldn't have picked up this book except it is part of our curriculum, and we would have greatly missed out. I usually enjoy all the Newberry Award books but have LOVED this. The kids like it too, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Ethan was getting into the story the night we caught up on a couple chapters. :)

1 comment:

MamaT said...

cute. i have the first book but haven't read it yet. i'm putting it by my bedside now though...
and maybe we'll check out that second one. the last line hooked me. :)